Calcium oxalate crystals in urine

This question is a mistake, as you can probably tell. My real question is of what to make of this notice that there are crystals in my urine. I have never had kidney stones of any sorts and I do not experience any lower back pain or pain anywhere.

Dr. Steve Merris

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thank you for asking the query.

Calcium oxalate crystal in urine is a common urine analysis finding. It means crystal structure of Calcium oxalate was seen while examining the specimen using a microscope.

The presence of oxalate crystals in urine mostly occurs in normal individuals. It does not represent the "level" of calcium oxalate in the blood or urine. Nor does it directly represent the presence of Calcium oxalate stones. It means that the laboratory personnel happened to see one or two crystals in your urine. Unfortunately nothing more can be concluded form this test result.

Since you are not having any symptoms or signs of renal / ureteric stones this finding can be taken as normal. In case you are taking some Vitamin C supplement you should probably stop it (as it can precipitate crystallization). And in case you eat high amount of proteins (meat, fish, milk) some amount of moderation is recommended. Drink plenty of water daily.

After a month or so you can go for a repeat urine analysis. Everything should be alright by them.

Please feel free to ask follow-up questions. Thank you.

Dr. Steve Merris

Medical School - New York University

Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center

Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center

Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center