I see white discharge from my nipples. Am I having breast cancer? I am not pregnant.

Hello doctor,

I am a 32 years old female. I am a smoker also. About 3 weeks ago, it started leaking a colostrum like clear fluid from my nipple of my right breast. I am sure that I am not pregnant. One of my friends asked be to do a visual and felt checkup for lumps. But my breast is really big and it is not easy to find lumps if they are at a size of a pea or so. I am not having a family history of any type of cancer. But can this leaking of nipple a symptom of cancer? It is not paining also. Please help.

Dr. John Fuller

Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question. From your descriptions, it is not easy to confirm whether you are affected with breast cancer or not. Anyway, it is better to have some further investigation on the topic. Discharge from breasts is always considered as a significant symptom of breast cancer. But it cannot be said with 100% surety, since you have not taken any mammogram or ultrasound. Go to your doctor and he will advise you to a mammogram or ultrasound. Prior to these a visual checkup done by your physician will help you better. All the best.

Dr. John Fuller

MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine

Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center

Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital