Dr. Steve Merris

Medical School - New York University

Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center

Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center

Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center

Type Your Question Here...

treatment for piles

I am not sure if I could have a fissure or hemorrhoid, I had slight difficulty going to the bathroom two days ago and right after I had a very small amount of bleeding when wiping which stopped right after and pain, which is normal if I really strain in the bathroom. The next day it really itched and I look at it and there is a very small lump, it almost looks like part of my anus protruded, it is hard pink and kind of burns to touch. It doesn't really hurt unless I clench then it burns but it hurts soo badly after a bowel movement and then burns for about 5 minutes so much that I don't want to go to the bathroom! Any idea what it could be and what to do?!

Submitted: 4 Days
Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thank you for asking the query :

It seems what you are having here is a haemorrhoid (piles). The samall lump could be a dilated vein (which is the external haemorrhoid) This is very common condition and there are a number of ways to deal with it. Mild and early haemorrhoids can be managed by conservative methods. I would recommend you the following steps now :

1. Being constipated and having hard bowel movements can make hemorrhoids worse. Here are some steps you can take to avoid getting constipated or having hard stools:    Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. They have fiber, which helps to increase bowel movements. You can take fiber powders, wafers, or pills. You should get 20 to 35 grams of fiber a day. Other options is to take medicines called stool softeners such as docusate sodium (sample brand names: Colace®, Dulcolax®) or bulk forming laxatives. Bulk forming laxatives include psyllium seeds.

2. Warm sitz baths — During a sitz bath, you soak the rectal area in warm water for 10 to 15 minutes two to three times daily. Sitz baths are available in most drugstores. It is also possible to use a bathtub and sit in 2 to 3 inches of warm water. Do not add soap, bubble bath, or other additives in the water.

3. Topical treatments — Various creams and suppositories are available to treat hemorrhoids, and many are available without a prescription.  Pain-relieving creams and hydrocortisone rectal suppositories may help relieve pain, inflammation, and itching, at least temporarily.You should not use hemorrhoid creams and suppositories, particularly hydrocortisone, for longer than one week, unless your healthcare provider approves

4. Avoid straining and spending lot of time in the toilet. This will only worsen it. Also do not alter your toilet habits for the fear of pain while defecation. This will only worsen the problem by causing more constipation

If the symptoms are persisting beyond a week you might have to see a Doctor in person for further evaluation and treatment.

Medical School - New York University

DoctorSpring in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... DoctorSpring.com.
DoctorSpring.com...has seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like doctorspring.com/privacy
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on DoctorSpring rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as DoctorSpring in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.