Dr. John Fuller

MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine

Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center

Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital

Type Your Question Here...

How to identify miscarraige

It was a month or two back, when I started bleeding heavily and experiencing cramps amidst my cycle. While bleeding, heavy clots of blood came spurting out. And the blood was really bright red in color. After some days, a white sac like mass also came. It was about 3cm long and had vine red spots at one side. As soon as saw this, my thought was about a miscarriage. It was because; I have never experienced something like this before. Moreover, I was on pills at that time. I had my previous period fine, but with a lighter blood flow than it used to be. Now, can you explain to me, what was it? Is there anything else than a miscarriage? How to prevent this from happening anymore?

Submitted: 4 Days
Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

There are two possibilities here. Either it’s a mid cycle bleed (especially if you have missed one or more Oral contraceptive pills), Or this bleed can be due to a miscarriage as you suspect.
So there is the possibility that you could have miscarried. Even you take the Oral contraceptive pills regularly there is a minute chance that it can fail and you might have conceived. The passage of fresh clots and tissue might be the sign of miscarriage.
As I said midcycle bleed is also possible in this scenario. Mid cycle bleed happens when you skip one or more doses of your Oral contraceptive pills. This will remove the hormonal inhibition to the uterus and then the bleeding happens (a physiological mechanism similar to normal menstruation). Since the incident happened months ago there is no way we can find out what happened. Anyway there is nothing to be alarmed. Miscarriage is a common occurrence. Almost 1 in 7 recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage.
You may want to do a home pregnancy test to be sure that you are not pregnant at this point of time. Also I would recommend you to consider all birth control options. If you wish to stick to the OCPills , make sure that you fully complaint . Because non compliance to take the drug daily is the most common cause for failure,

DoctorSpring in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... DoctorSpring.com.
DoctorSpring.com...has seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like doctorspring.com/privacy
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on DoctorSpring rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as DoctorSpring in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.