Fell off bike and landed on the palm of left hand

I fell off my bike and landed on the palm of my left hand 3 hours ago. No my left hand feels weak. I can move all the fingers, but the key difference is that I am unable to bring the little finger and the ring finger of my left hand together as if to make a karate chop. Also, I cannot press those same fingers flat to a table top or straighten them when stretching my fingers forward like Superman. The ring finger in particular is bowed with the upper knuckle high. There is no swelling. I can spread my fingers wide apart.

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query.

The symptoms are suggestive of minor involvement of the left ulnar nerve, and resulting weakness of muscles supplied by this nerve.
In most cases, the condition is self-limiting, and spontaneous improvement occurs.
As of now, nerve vitamins such as B12, folate, alpha lipoic acid may be taken.
Physiotherapy with exercises is also helpful.
If any pain or tingling occurs, then, pregabalin would be useful.

Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)

--

I recommend an ER visit. An Xray for the arm might be needed. As Dr.Sudhir suggested there appears to be an ulnar nerve compression which can spontaneously recover. However any fracture or external compression needs to be ruled out.
Dr.Deepu Sebin (In House Physician)

Additional info: I fell on my elbow about an hour before the second fall. It's sore and tender to the touch, but not especially painful.

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 3 Days.

You can take pain medication like Ibuprofen (400mg two to three times daily) for pain relief. This will help in reducing the swelling and inflammation too. But you do need to get it checked for fracture or serious nerve injury.

If the hand symptoms are persisting it need some evaluation as I have mentioned earlier.

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995