Genital herpes went unknown and un-noticed for years.

Hello doctor, I am a 22 years old female, now sexually active with my partner. We were in this relationship for about 4 years and were been in sexual relationship for last 2 years. We have got a 2 years old daughter also. He promised me that he hasn’t gone for any other girl. But recently I found that I have got affected with sexually transmitted disease, HSV type 2. I am sure that I haven’t cheated him since I started relationship with him. Moreover, I would like to know whether this infection can stay un-noticed for such a long time. I haven’t even noticed a single genital herpes symptom in my body since then. How can it be so? Moreover, why my doctors didn’t inform me about this while I was in my pregnancy period? Please help.

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your question and concern. Genital herpes is a commonly seen sexually transmitted infection and there is nothing much to worry about. There are a lot of people who were infected with HSV type 2. Out of them a large number of people don’t even know about their infection because of no visible outbreaks like sores, lesions, blisters etc. In some people there occur some mild signs which are usually undermined by the infected. Some me people think about the sores as insect bites or similar skin conditions and don’t even care about it. Moreover, no routine check is done for genital herpes, during pregnancy as there is no relevancy with pregnancy and Genital herpes. After infecting, this virus will stay in human body for a lifelong and no medication is available for a complete eradication of virus. If there are active lesions in your vaginal area during the time of pregnancy, there is a chance of transmitting the virus to your child. In such cases, a C-section is advised to prevent such a transmission.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center