Am I affected with urinary tract infection?

Dear doctor,

I am a 62 years old male, now suffering from severe pain in penis. It feels like a burning sensation with severe pain in penis while passing urine. I consulted with my GP for this and she told that this might be due to some infection in the urinary tract. She prescribed to undergo a list of tests. But I feel that all these tests are not necessary. What is she trying to find out? Is there anything else wrong with me? I think that I need some anti-biotics only, if it is an infection. Am I right with my conclusion? What are the possible reasons of my issue? Please help me at the earliest. Thanks.

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Services from Doctor Spring.

According to the symptom that you have, the most likely diagnosis is UTI. Urinary tract infections are the second most common type of infection in males.

Normally, urine is sterile and free from bacteria, viruses, and fungi. An infection occurs when usually bacteria from the digestive tract, adhere to the opening of the urethra and begin to reproduce. The urethra is the tube that carries urine from the bladder to be expelled outside the body. Most infections are caused by Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria bacteria attach to the urethra and begin to multiply which causes urinary tract infection.

Your doctor might ask you for urine analysis, for which a clean catch of midstream urine sample should be collected in a sterile container and sent to the laboratory for analysis. The urine is tested for RBCs, WBCs and bacteria. If there is UTI, the WBC count could be high and the bacteria will also be detected. Once detected, the urine sample is then cultured to isolate the micro-organism. This is required to prescribe you a specific antibiotic which will be effective against the organism your genital tract Is infected with.

Hence, I would suggest you to do the urine test and other tests which you’re GP advise. It is completely treatable condition ,so do not delay.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you need further help.