Back pain with ANTROLISTHESIS, FACET ARTHROPATHY at L4-S1.

i have had alot of pain the last week or so which is constant in my low back. I try to bend over then straighten back up and the pain is the worse pain I have had in a very long time. I sleep sideways with a cheap backbrace on or I could't move at all. Seems like there is a "vice" tightening around low and if I move a certain way it causes me to need to scream outloud the pain is so great.With that then I feel as if I will lose control of my bladder. I have a radiology report here but it says Anterolisthesis at L4-5 then advanced facet arthropathy at L4-LS1 Also says narrowing of disc space at L5-S1. He told me I would have pain but could try different options. Not sure what he meant. This is worrying me as its not going away with what few things I know to do. I do not know how to upload and thing.

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

I have read your details with diligence.
It looks from your details that you are having L4-5 & S1 facetal arthropathy & anterolisthesis at L4-5 vertebra,ehic means that you are having arthritis of spine as wells anterior migration of L5 in comparison to L4.
I can understand the pain due to this.At present the treatment options for these complaints are-
-Wearing a lumbosacral corset which helps in maintaining the normal posture & prevent progression of present condition.
-Taking help of a physiotherapist ,if condition is not severe.
-Your orthopaedic or pain specialist may inject local steroid injection at facet joints ,which will help in relieving pain as well as inflammation at facet joints.
-If all other fails then surgery is an option where your surgeon may fuse the adjacent affected vertebrae & stabilize them with metal implant.
Till you choose any option you may take a good analgesic for present problem.I used to prescribe a combination of tramadol with paracetamol for such condition with corset support.
Hope this all will help you.
With best wishes.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995