Both sides knee pain near plantaris tendon on running

Doctor, I am having severe pain in my legs whenever I run. This pain started to appear since 2008 or 09. The pain appears in both of my legs below my knee. In the right leg it pains below the knee towards the left side near the plantaris tendon part. This is same with the left leg below the knee towards right side near the plantaris tendon. I don't understand the reason behind the pain. The pain disappears automatically after taking rest for 1 or 2 day.

When you say plantaris tendon, do you mean the middle of the leg at the calf muscles ? Since you are having pain in the both legs the most possible cause is an ill fitting footwear. Surprisingly this can cause discomfort and pain in many ways. Have your tried changing your shoes ? Or running with a good quality sports shoes ? Also is there any pain after walking or any other activity or just running ?

Hello Dr., Yes, I mean in the middle of the leg at the calf muscles. The pain does not cover the entire part of calf muscles. Its only at a small part of my leg. And, I have recently bought a good quality running shoes from Nike which I feel completely comfortable. Another important point is, I don't feel the pain when I walk with full speed, neither do I feel the pain when I do skipping for non stop 400 times, or 1000 times if I take a few seconds of gap in between.

This pain is probably due to tendinitis aggravated the the impact on running. A confirmed diagnosis will require a physical evaluation and possible an MRI. Since it is on both sides it has a lot to do with your running technique. Make sure you are running on a solid surface with appropriate foot movements. If the pain is severe you can take a NSAID medication like Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily. An Orthopedician consultation is also recommended. Unfortunately with our further evaluation there is nothing much we can do right now.