Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Bump in right eye after applying petroleum jelly

Resolved Question:

Hi! I've been putting petroleum jelly on my eyelashes since 2 weeks coz they said it'll make your lashes longer. But then just a few days ago, I noticed something like jelly and a bit bumpy on my right eye (but not on the iris). I think it's a jelly. I've been trying to rinse it with water and wiping it with cotton but it still there. Kind of painful too. What should I do? Thank you!

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 26 Doctors Online

From the symptoms you have described it looks probably due to a sty. It is also known as Hordeolum that is due to the infection of the glands or the hair follicle. Since you had been applying petroleum jelly on the eyelashes it may have led to the infection. This is quite common. Generally there are two types of hordeolum namely external Hordeolum and internal Hordeolum.

External Hordeolum occurs due to the infection of the hair follicle while internal Hordeolum is an infection of the meibomian gland that secretes an oily substance that lubricates the eye. The causative organism is staphylococcus aureus. The patients usually present with redness, itching, watering of the eye, and swelling which appears on the eyelid. Sty's are filled with pus caused by the infection. Usually it resolves in a week or so and doesn't cause any damage to the eye.

I would recommend a few home remedies that can reduce the swelling and ease your pain.

a) Application of warm compression over the swelling for 10-15 mins for four times a day. This will bring down the swelling.

b) Don't try to pinch or squeeze the sty as it may rupture and cause the spread of the infection.

c) Avoid the use of contact lens, eye make up till the infection is completely resolved.

d) Do not rub your eyes or apply petroleum jelly to the eyelids.

e) You can also use antibiotics or steroidal cream to reduce the swelling and painkillers like ibuprofen to relieve the pain.

f) If there is no relief, then you can get the sty drained.

However this can be done only in consultation with your doctor. I would suggest you to try this for a week and then reassess the situation after a week. Hope this helps.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news