Can an overdose of chemotherapy in an infant be fatal?

I am very much worried that one of my relative called me today and informed that her 8 months old child was taken to hospital back after a double dose of chemotherapy by mistake. Is this a fatal situation? Will the child survive?

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question. Chemotherapy is used to treat cancer. It is comprised of anti cancer drugs at various amounts or doses. The severity of side effects cannot be told in advance. It depends on type of drug used, normal health status of the child, severity of disease and dosage of drug. Moreover, side effects differ from person to person. It is the doctor who can exactly tell you about the possible outcomes.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center