Can OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT be used for LEVEL-I HYPERTENSION?

Can I use Olive leaf extract only to treat level I hypertension (average 136/87)?

Category: Cardiologist

Expert:  Dr. Vivek Mahajan replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your consult at DoctorSpring.com.
Bp <140/90 is pre hypertension and not hypertension. So you need lifestyle modifications for that. Low salt diet, green leafy vegetables, fruit, sprouts, salads almonds and nuts are recommended for you. Avoid dairy and bakery products. Exercise daily for 45 minutes aerobic exercises. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Use vegetable oils like sunflower safllower olive oil or rice bran oils.

As far as olive extracts are concerned guidelines do not make a mention of them. But you may use them in addition to the above measures as they are likely to be healthy for you.
Hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further.
Dr Vivek Mahajan
DM Cardiology

my doctor wants to put me on a blood pressure pill... do you think this is necarary yet? Most importently, Is it possible to stay at"pre-hypertension" level, 140/90 the rest of my life (into old age) ie. is it inevitable that pre-hypertension leads to hypertension etc. Today my blood pressure went down at one point to 116/64 ! then later in the evening it went up to 15O/87 (it generally sits at around 135/85

Expert:  Dr. Vivek Mahajan replied 3 Days.

If your blood pressure stays at 135 /85 most of the time of day then you probably do not need drugs. It is possible to stay at pre hypertension all your life but it is not predictable whether you shall definitely stay or not. It depends on a number of modifiable and non modifiable factors.

The best you can do is to follow a healthy lifestyle. Do you have an ambulatory blood pressure monitor or a home bp monitor available. If yes then you could monitor the BP multiple times at home over a week and if consistently below 140/90 you could avoid drugs. If more than a few readings are high you may start drugs.

Dr Vivek Mahajan

Dr. Vivek Mahajan
Fellowship: DM, Cardiology, PGIMER, 2013
Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, AIIMS, 2007
Internship: King Edward Memorial (KEM) Hospital, 2003 
Medical School: MBBS, Seth G.S. Medical College, 2002