Cause for moving pain from leg to leg and thigh.

Hi, Over the last week or so I've had some pain in my legs. The pain seems to be moving from leg to leg. Some days I only feel it in the left leg. Some days the right. Some days both.

I feel it mostly from sitting or standing in place. When I'm walking I feel fine. When I lay on my back i'm fine for a bit, then it starts to hurt. Laying on my front is fine. The pain is sometimes in my calves, and sometimes in my thighs. Most recently it's been focused in my thighs, but the calves still get it from time to time.

I don't know if it's related but a few times this week I've felt concentrated pain about midway up my upper arm. That hasn't lasted long and has gone away rather quickly. The pain in my legs will hang around as long as I'm sitting or lying. Walking gets rid of the pain. Over the last few months I spent 6-8 hours a day sitting in a very bad chair at work. It was a sort of arm chair, but it wasn't very padded and there was a piece of wood that ran along the front edge of the chair that cut into my thighs.

My office chair at home is better, but the padding is worn and it's pretty hard now. I built a standing desk and i've been trying to use that more and more but it hurts to stand still now, so I don't really use the desk anymore.

I'm also pretty overweight. I weigh 290, so I'm sure that doesn't help. I've started a low-carb diet this past week and have had a bit of diarrhea. I've been trying to replace electrolytes today, but I'm not sure if I'm deficient there or not, or if the low carb diet could affect anything. Any idea what can be causing the pain?

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com

I have noted your symptoms. We need to exclude deficiencies such as potassium, sodium and calcium. In addition, a deficiency of vitamin B12 and D should also be excluded.

If the above deficiencies are excluded, then, we should consider a diagnosis of restless legs syndrome (RLS). RLS can be treated with medications such as ropinirole.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
DR Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995