CERVICAL DISECTOMY FUSION for pain, tinnitus, vomiting. Risks.

My best friend is about to have anterior cervical disectomy fusion on his C6-C7 cervical vertebrae. He is experiencing intense pain, vomiting, and tinnitus, and he cannot stand or even sleep because the muscles around his spine will not relax to allow these things. What I desperately need to know is if the surgery is absolutely necessary or if there is anything we can do to avoid this extremely risky operation. I can access the MRI files that he received as well as the interpretations of it by the MD that he consulted. Please help us - we are both University of South Carolina Students and I have witnessed him lose credit for the whole semester because of this. He is 21 years old, generally otherwise healthy male. Any other information needed can be supplied.

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

I have read your question with diligence .
Looking at your details if his condition is too severe due to disc prolapse then it will be best for him to have surgery.In good hands the surgery is not a serious or dangerous one,although the risks which are associated with routine surgery are also associated with this.I will advice you to go for surgery as it is only option present to give relief to him.
Hope this all will help you,
Feel free to discuss further.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995