Chances of getting infected with HIV if tests show positive for genital herpes

Hello doctor, I was recently tested positive for genital herpes. One of my friends told that there is a chance to get infected with HIV aids, if one has got infected with genital herpes. Is it true? If so, how can I prevent HIV infection? I learned that using condoms and such barrier methods can prevent HIV infection. Please help me with this?

Thanks for your question and concern. However, what you heard from your friend was wrong. Those who are infected by HIV can get infected with other viruses easily. This is because a HIV patient will develop risk of low immunity as the virus depletes immunity of infected body. Moreover, risk of getting infected with sexual diseases also increases as infected people tend to engage more in unprotected sexual activities. Herpes, HIV and genital warts are caused by virus infections and so, there are no permanent treatment options for them, to eradicate virus. Most of the virus infections like herpes can co-exist causing different types of infections together. Cold sores caused by HSV can be seen both in facial area and in genitals. Hope your doubts are cleared. Take care.