Congenital hypothyroidism and mother with positive thyroid antibodies

I recently gave birth to a baby (11 weeks postpartum) who was diagnosed with Congenital Hypothyroidism. While our Pediatric Endocrinologist has assured me that my own thyroid condition has nothing to do with his diagnosis, I went ahead and had a full thyroid panel done to check my own thyroid function, since I also have some history of Hashimoto´s Disease in my family.

My results came back as follows:

T4 Free: 1.08 ng/dL
TSH-3G: 1.20 uIU/mL

ANTI THYROGLOBULIN AB: 2.00 IU/ML
ANTI MICROSOMAL AB: 0.46 IU/ML

My questions are as follows:

1. I understand that my antibody results are "low", however is it normal to have some Thyroid Antibodies as my test results indicate? Or do these results indicate that I am at risk for eventually developing an autoimmune thyroid condition?

2. I have read that women who test positive for thyroid antibodies may be at a higher risk for miscarriages. Is this something that I should have monitored during my next pregnancy?

3. Is there any way that my thyroid antibodies could have crossed the placenta and affected the thyroid function of my baby, causing transient hypothyroidism? (our Pediatric Endocrinologist has told us that we will not be able to know if his condition is transient or not until much later).

Category: Endocrinologist

Expert:  Dr. J Muthukrishnan replied 4 Days.

Hello and thankyou for approaching DoctorSpring with your query.
I have gone through your tests results and will answer you question as follows.

1) It is normal to have some amount of antibodies. It is only when the levels are above the normal levels that we call it 'positive' for the antibodies. At these levels, you are not at a risk of developing an autoimmune thyroid condition.

2) Yes , positive levels put women at a higher risk but NOT in your case, as your levels are low.

3) No. It is not so. these antibodies do not cross or cause that kind of thyroid problem that your child has.
To know if the child's condition is transient or permanent will need a reassessment after brain development is complete, that is beyond 3yrs of age. So till then, it will be better to continue medication and follow up.

I hope this has helped, feel free to follow up with any queries.

Thankyou

Thank you for your thorough response.

Dr. J Muthukrishnan
Fellowships/Training: 
1. 10th Asia-Pacific Pediatric Endocrine Society  Fellows meeting, Seoul, Korea, Oct 2008
2. Eighth ICMR Course on Genetics and Genetic Counseling – Jul 2008 – SGPGI, Lucknow
3. Annual Certificate Course on Endocrinological Laboratory Techniques at National Institute of Nutrition (ICMR) Hyderabad,India, ( Aug-Sep 2006) 
Fellowship: Endocrinology, Diplomate of National Board, National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 2008, Medwin Hospital, Hyderabad
Senior Residency: Diplomate of National Board (General Medicine), National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 2002
Residency: MD, General Medicine, 1997-2000, Armed Forces Medical College, 2nd position in University
Medical School: MBBS, Armed Forces Medical College, 1992