Criteria in size for MOH'S in BASAL CELL CARCINOMA.

Hello. I was diagnosed with a basal cell carcinoma on the bridge of my nose very small about the size of a pimple. I am 36 years old I don't have any other medical problems . I read on reputable websites that if you have a basal cell on your nose you should aim to have the Mohs procedure. My doctor said the Mohs procedure is unnecessary for the size of the basal cell on my nose meaning it's too small to for Mohs and that if he was to refer me for Mohs that they might laugh at us because it's so small. I really want to make sure to do this right because it's on my face and I don't want to have a deforming scar in such a prominent place . So could you tell me how small is too small for Mohs on your nose . He recommends we just do a punch excision . Thank you.

I can understand your concern. I reviewed the picture.

The BCC is indeed quite small. Moh's micrographic surgery is usually reserved for large or complicated areas. Its also done in critical areas like the eyes, nose etc. Hence it can be done on the nose for you. This link is for your reference.

http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/basal-cell-carcinoma/bcc-treatment-options

What your doctor is suggesting is also not a wrong option. But if you want to get moh's surgery done, it would be best to visit a surgeon who is experienced in doing it.

I would recommend that you let the treating doctor take an informed decision as to which treatment method to follow.