Deep persistent cough

Hey Doc,

I have a persistant cough that I've had for around 4 months, it seems to come from my stomach if that makes sense? It makes me heave when I cough and I also tend to cough when I take a very deep breath. I visited my GP and was prescribed Beconase nasal spray, it doesnt seem to be doing much. I've quit social smoking to help ease the symptoms but it didn't seem to change anything. I have never coughed up blood but sometimes the amount of Phlegm in my throat can make me very nauseous

Is this something to be worried about? Is it likely to be acid reflux? I am worried about the possibility of it being Lung or Stomach Cancer.

I discussed your concern with our Pulmonologist. Here are out thoughts. Please allow me to list them down for clarity.

1. The cough will directly arise from the stomach. But a condition called GERD (stomach related) can precipitate similar symptoms. (similar to acid reflex as you have suspected )

2. Cancer is unlikely. (stomach and lung both) However if the symptoms are persisting (for more than 4 weeks )+ if any symptoms like weight loss , hoarseness of voice, facial puffiness etc you will need further evaluation.

3. The cough is most likely irritant in nature since it is precipitated by deep breath. However since it is a 4 month cough a baseline evaluation is warranted. I would recommend a Chest Xray to start with.

4. You can take an anti allergic medication + OTC anti ulcer medication like Prilosec for 7-14 days meanwhlile. Steam inhalation twice a day with open mouth can also help with the symptoms.

Do Get in touch with your GP for the Chest Xray if not taken already.

Feel free to ask followups