Deficient IRON, VIT-B12 with elevated URIC ACID. CELIAC DISEASE.

I am a 46 year old female who was diagnosed with celiac disease 18 months ago. At that time I was also very deficient in iron and vitamin B12 and was given B12 injections and an iron infusion at the time of my endoscopy. I have been strictly gluten free however B12 levels have gone up and down and I get injections when they get low. 6 months ago I moved to Switzerland. I recently went to my doctor and had levels checked. My B12 was 126 (normal range was 132-835). My vitamin D was 62 (normal range of 75-150). Uric acid and C Reactive Protein also elevated. He indicated that my levels were not "dangerously low" and no action was required. He said to get levels checked once a year. My previous doctor would have treated this with injections but this doctor does not feel any action is needed. Is this normal or should I seek a different physician?

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
Your Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D are low. But as your new doctor has said they are not dangerously low.
But having said that, you also have celiac disease. Celiac disease is a type of malabsorption syndrome. It affects the absorption of nutrients. and there will be nutritional deficiency.
If you are on gluten free diet for more than 6 months and if you do not have symptoms suggestive of celiac disease like diarrhea and anemia, then you do not need Vitamin B12 shots and vitamin D supplementation.
But if you are not on gluten free diet or if you have symptoms suggestive of celiac disease, then I would advise you to have Vitamin B12 shots and Vitamin D supplementation.
I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University