Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home


Resolved Question:

I have been suffering from heavy diarrhea for some days. I reduced it to a couple of times a day by rectifying my diet. Now I have wheat, dairy and egg-free diet. I am also taking enzymes and HCL to induce digestion. I also suffer from bloating, flatulence, stomach pain etc. since last January. I believe that it is due to the bad and outdated smoked salmon I ate in December and started a course of Goldenseal (I doubted, I have been affected with Giadiasis. I have been having smelly and loose stools, about three times a day. I consulted with a gastroenterologist and did a biopsy and got everything clear. I did a test for Celiac and turned out to be negative. My doctors believe that I have to consult with a dietician as I am intolerant to wheat or IBS. My test results are as like this- Thyroid TSH, T4, ESR-2, Calcium little low at 2.20, Potassium-3.9, CRP- normal, liver normal, Lymphocytes- low at 1.1, neutrophil- high (8.23) Lymphocytes was low since July 2012 and later elevated. B12- 1464 ng/l. I have also been suffering from back pain, hip pain, joint pain, acne, blister spots, palpitation, loss of balance, especially at mornings. I suffer from this especially after taking rest for long periods. I underwent hysterectomy on last September for prolapse, with ovaries remaining and tool Vesicare for urethral syndrome. I recently had menopause symptoms (palpitation, hot flashes, sweating at night), but later they were all gone due to a natural progesterone cream I use. At first, I was told that it was due to wheat, egg and dairy I take, which causes diarrhea. But now, I still get it even without using them. I usually don’t take processed foods. Is this any histamine intolerance? Can IBS cause these problems? Can IBS cause skin problems? Can it be due to high B12? Should I get a cortisol and B12 test done? Should I go back to my GP and referred to a haematologist? Are there tests available for histamine intolerance? Please help me out with this.

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 23 Doctors Online

Hello. Thanks for writing your query to us.

I am really sorry for the condition you are suffering with.

Based on the symptoms and the lab reports you have provided, I suspect you to be suffering with Irritable bowel syndrome. First let me explain in detail about this condition. IBS is a condition characterized by long lasting abdominal pain, changes in bowel habits like diarrhea, and bloating. It is a diagnosis of exclusion, where the individual is diagnosed with it after excluding all other conditions having similar picture. The points that are favorable in your case for this condition are:

1)Your sex- females are 3 times more prone to this

2)Your age (>50. I assumed as you attained your menopause)

3)post menopausal status associated with stress

4)Ruling out of other diseases like Thyroid disorders, colon cancer etc

5)Negative biopsy report

I would like to recommend the following:

1)Avoid outside food.

2)Try to identify foods that you are allergic to and try to avoid them

3)Drink plenty of water

4)Diet a good amount of fibre food to add bulk to the stool.

5)Medications laxatives for constipation and antispasmodics like hyoscyamine for pain abdomen

6)Probiotics like Lactobacillus, buttermilk which is rich in lactobacillus.

7)Psychotherapy as this a disease is considered to have some incoordination between the mind and body.

8)Stress relief like simple exercises, morning walks

9)Yoga It is stated that exercise poses involving the lower abdomen are useful

Above all, I strongly recommend you to consult a physician for the confirmation of diagnosis and a dietician for a perfect diet schedule.

Hope this helps

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news