Thank you for choosing DoctorSpring.
I require some additional information from you so that I can provide my best and learned opinion. You can reply as a followup.
1. You have mentioned exercise in the morning. What kind of exercise do you carry out ? For what duration ?
2. Do you take the fruit juice with sugar / without sugar ?
3. Do you take the tea with milk and sugar ?
4. What is your current weight and height ?
5. What is your target weight ? (How much weight do you want loose ?)
Patient replied :
I have not mentioned in my first diet details: I also take a fruit and grain meal comprising of one banana, one apple, few pieces of ripe papaya five almond wet and two table spoon of spouted green gram. This before the glass of milk with Horlicks before sleep.
I have thoroughly analysed your Diet.
While this is good healthy diet, this is not the best diet for weight loss. My recommendations here are based on the fact that you intent to have some weight loss.
Please allow me to list down my opinions for clarity.
1. Cut down the liquid calories. You should avoid the Horlicks, Honey and fruit juice. These are calorie builders without no obvious additional benefit for you, especially since you are taking nutrient rich diet. You can continue the Milk at night
2. Again since you target weight loss you should cut down in take of fruits. _ you can target like this two small bowls of fruits +1 medium bowl of vegetables (salads) per day. The fruit should not contain no more than 2 varieties. And MOST importantly , these fruits and salads should replace a part of your meal. Rather than just being an add on item.
3. Cut down the rice (carbohydrate portion) of the meals - lunch and dinner. You have not mentioned how much rice you consume, but if it is comfortable try bringing down to 50-60 percent of current levels.
4. Eggs - you can take 2 eggs with yolks and upto 5-6 additional egg whites per week. This will provide the much needed protein
5. If you take fish, you can include two serving of fish per week (not fired)
6. Shift to olive oil for cooking. Though bit expensive this is a really healthy option. Cut down the oil and salt use by half (arbitrarly) . Use light (non extra virgin) olive oil for cooking (Suited for Indian cooking)
6. Count the calories using online tools like Myfitnesspal. Target a calorie intake of 2000Kcal per day after deducting the exercise.
You have a good diet. So it only needs some fine tuning. If you could tell me what kind of a weight loss you intent, (how many Kgs) I could give more specific suggestions. Please feel free to ask for clarifications / followups.
Patient replied :
Thank You Dr Deepu,
You might have noted that I take Roti/Rice only for lunch. No Roti or Rice for dinner, only fruits and soaked grains with a soup & salad.Looking for 4/5 kgs weight loss.My present weght 62 height 5'3". Five days exercise. Please tell me what further needs to be done.You were talking about refering to some specialist.
So roti/rice once a day. That's great.
Remember fruits although a healthy eating choice, is NOT good for weight loss. It will add on to calories.
Stick to a low calorie diet for 9 months. 4-5kg weight loss in stable healthy way might take 7-9 months. So be persistent. Counting your calories is the best way to loose weight. (keeping it at 1200-1500 range after deducting exercise). There are good on-line tools available. (MyFitnessPal). Let me know if you need guidance in this.