Does oral sex with core sore spreads?

Dear doctor, I had oral sex with my partner who was having cold sore. Would her cold sore spread onto my penis? I have seen some pictures of genital warts. Does cold sore results in warts?

Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your concern. When a person suffers from cold sore then he or she develops some blisters near the mouth region as lips. Now when you have oral sex with your partner who was suffering from cold sore then you are at risk of getting it too. Cold sore might spread to your genitals also as she gave oral to you. It is the result of two different types of viruses such as HSV-1 and HSV-2. Both of these viruses can lead to cold sore and genital herpes. In your case as your genital region would have been in contact with the cold sore region of your partner then I thing you might get genital herpes. Genital herpes is a very dangerous sexually transmitted disease. In this there are warts developed on and around the genitals. These warts as you have seen in pictures of genital warts become permanent and it almost becomes impossible to get rid of them. I would suggest you to visit a physician in person as soon as possible and get yourself checked. The test will make you feel better. If you would have been affected by the virus then you will show symptoms in 5 to 30 days. It also depends on how your body reacts to the viruses. If it is immune enough to fight them then the risk of you getting affected by herpes or warts reduces considerably. It is advisable that whenever your partner has cold sore or any other infection then you should not indulge in sexual activity with her. Also, you should always use protection like condoms whenever having sex with her. I hope your doubts are cleared. Take care.

Dr. John Fuller
MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center
Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital