Drop in HEMOGLOBIN after BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS in PARAPLEGIC.

I'm a paraplegic and I was told that due to a fall from my bed to the floor I had a vertebrae fracture around my old spinal fusion in 1992. I also just got my 15th blood transfusion on Jan. 3-4 of this year, but new lab work shows a drop in my hemoglobin, already. The labs were done two days ago, and it shows a drop of hemoglobin from 8.9 to 8.4. Should the hospital have admitted me? Or did the resident Dr. that treated me in the ER/ED make a mistake by sending me home in great agony?

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com

I have noted your symptoms and past medical details.

It is unfortunate that you have become paraplegic due to injury to spinal cord.

Treatment at this stage is mainly physiotherapy and rehabilitation. Stem cell research in spinal cord injury seems promising, and may become avaialble for use later on.

Regarding the drop in hemoglobin, it is mild and probably did not require hospitalisation. However, we still need to find out the underlying cause. This would require further blood tests and possible bone marrow examination.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995