Fever with rash in toddler

Hello. My baby boy is 16 months old. He has a fever on Monday Feb. 3rd - Wednesday Feb. 5th. Although his fever has gone away he still cries continually until I give him ibuprofen. This morning he woke up with a rash all over his chest, stomach and groin. He's appetite has dwindled. We also just back from a long drive from Portland, OR to Iowa and back again. I thought he must be exhausted from the trip but does not seem to be getting better just symptoms seem to be changing.

Hello and Thankyou for approaching DoctorSpring with your query.

From what you have described your child has got a viral exanthem , which is fever and rash due to a viral infection.
He has probably got Roseola Infanticum, which presents with fever which last for 2 to 3 days and after it subsides in a day or 2 thde chld develops a rash. The rash usually lasts for 2-3 days.
This is a viral infection and is common in children less than 2 years. Spreads from one infected child to another.

However the irritability and your history of travel is bit worrying. Other infections like Rickettsial infections can also present with rash. And it can affect the nervous system causing irritability. If you have access to a Pediatrician, I would strongly recommend a consultation.

You can give him Ibuprofen thrice daily for now. Let the baby drink have lot of oral fluids. Irritable cry that is persistant, pain on touching the ear, pain while urinating (crying), feeling tired all the time. trouble in feeding , spreading rash, bleeding spots, drowsiness etc are few warning signs. In case the child has of any of these sings medical care should not be dealyed.

Also make sure the fever is never staying high. If so you need to a tepid sponging as and when needed keep the temperature normal.

Feel freet to ask followups

Thank you for your response. I was thinking it may be roseola but a bit concerned with not being able to comfort him. Sometimes he feels like eating a little and other times he won't even take his milk. He has bouts of crying and other times he's smiling.

He's pediatrician's office is closed due to weather. Is putting off a doctors visit until Monday perfectly okay?

Thanks again,
Jenn Kane

Hello Ms.Kane,

I would say putting of the visit to Paediatrician is Okay (not perfectly okay ). If you can closely observe the child then you need not worry. Some amount of irritability will always be there with fever . Just make sure that the baby is not highly irritable or having any warning signs I have mentioned previously. Feed well, as dehydration can set in with fever. Continue anit fever medications - Tylenol /Ibuprofen

You can get back to me at any time, This consult will be open.