Flatulence after rectal cancer surgery

hi is the dr ready now

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your consult. Please note we don't have an instant Doctor chat service. Once you submit the question, the specialist answers within 4-8 hours generally and then you can ask follow-up questions. The conversation is like emails back and forth.

I see you have asked a question 'I had rectal surgery 10 weeks ago and 7 weeks ago started experiencing severe flatulence'. I request you to add more details, your specific queries so that the Doctor can help you best.

Once your consult is replied you will receive an email and you can then review the response and ask follow-up questions. We guarantee responses within 24 hours.

So, if you have any more details to share kindly add them as follow-up to this response.

In-house Physician
DoctorSpring

had rectal cancer surgery 10 weeks ago
for 7 weeks have experienced severe flatulence mostly after eatting
had open anterior resection TMS
Stage 2 a rectal cancer T3
b12 low 137 pmol/L
numb tingling cold feeling in feet
distended abdomen
flatulence smells fowl
small frequent stools had abdominal MRIand CT of Lung 3 months ago and both were clean.I would like to know please the likely cause of my symptoms and how to treat them.
It would be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 3 Days.

Thanks for posting your query.
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Increased flatulence occurs when the digestion and absorption of nutrients is affected or if there is infection.
Since you are having foul smelling small frequent stools, it is likely that you have infection in the colon.
A stool test may be done.
For relief from flatulence, avoid milk and milk products, cabbage, beans and broccoli.
Take probiotics, simethicone and Beano which are all available as OTC medications for relief.

If the symptoms persists even after the above measures you may require a course of antibiotics. You should get in touch with your Doctor regarding this.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University