Gallbladder dysfunction and low Creatinine

After losing 50lbs in 5 months, hardly being able to eat, not being able to have a bowel movement without laxatives; I was diagnosed with a dysfunctional gallbladder and was put on prescribed 4mg ondansetron, 10mg dicyclomine, and Nexium to take every morning while they scheduled the lapriscopy surgery for my gallbladder.

I took a urinalysis test for my probation officer one morning 30 minutes after taking the previously mentioned, prescribed medications and also having a heptabiliary scan done the day before. The test came back negative, but showed that my creatine levels were low which is considered a masking agent and caused me to fail the urinalysis.

Would any of the above mentioned medications, illnesses, or given information be a cause or factor into my having low creatine levels?

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com. I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

No, the medications you have mentioned do not cause a false positive urinalysis test. But there are reports that PPI medications ( Nexium in your case) can cause a failed test.

Abnormal bowel movements and dysfunctional gallbladder also do not cause a failed test.

And these are not responsible for the low creatine level you have.
Actually, it is difficult to say why you failed the test.

I hope that answers your questions, please let me know if you have any queries.

Dr.R.K.

From what I understand though, if I'm not able to hardly eat anything then my body is being deprived of protein and calcium which does lower your body's creatine levels. Take not being able to eat with the rapid loss of muscle and body fat then my levels would be lower.
Thank you for your reply, do you have or know where I can find the study that reports PPI medications (Nexium in my case) causing failed tests?

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 3 Days.

Those are only anectodal reports which have not found a place in standard textbooks or journals.

That is why I have mentioned as --- "NO" in my previous post and that there are only reports that they can cause it.

Please feel free to get back with queries.
Dr.R.K

Just had my laparoscopy/cholecystecomy surgery performed to remove my gallbladder. Is it common practice to use ethanol to shrink the gallbladder during surgery to remove it or using any chemicals containing alcohol during this procedure?

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 2 Days.

Thanks for getting back to me with more questions.
No, surgeons usually do not shrink the gallbladder with ethanol or any other chemical to remove it during laparoscopic cholecystectomy.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University