Green stool persisting even after bowel cleansing with magnesium citrate

I have had a green stool for 3 weeks I did drink Magnesium Citrate to clean my system out
all the green came out I did have a normal stool twice now it is green again, should I be concerned?
I have not eaten anything that wouls make me have a green bowel movement, Should see a doctor?

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Though certain food items can make the stool look green, a faster transit time of the bowel also can cause greenish stools. In this case, it is the bile that makes the stool look green. Normally the bile gets absorbed in the last part of the small intestine. But when the bowel works in a hurry, not all bile gets absorbed leading to greenish stool.

Make sure you are not on any medication that causes the bowel to work faster. Sometimes it occurs due to infection.

So if it persists, i would recommend getting a stool test done.
Hope I have answered all your queries, Please feel free to discuss further.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University