Hepatitis B and its effects

Hello doctor- My boyfriend is suffering from Hepatitis B. I have been in sexual relation with him. I wanted to know whether it is curable or it will be transmitted to me as well. Also, by seeing some herpes pictures off late I got very disturbed. What it is actually genital herpes?

Well, thank you for your question. First and foremost I must tell you that Hepatitis B can be transmitted sexually. Hence, if you are having sexual relation with your boyfriend then you might have Hepatitis B. However, before panicking I should suggest you that you first ask your mother whether you were given immunizations when you were child of Hepatitis B. generally most hospitals give such immunizations. In case you have have immunizations then it best for you because the antibodies present in that immunizations will help you fight all the virus of this disease which might have entered inside your body. Boosters’ shots are also given at some later age because the immunizations that are given when you were an infant might not fight the viruses of this disease strongly. However, I would suggest you to visit your doctor first and get a blood test done. If the concentration of antibodies found inside your blood is more then you can be rest assured that you don’t have Hepatitis B.

In case you didn’t have immunizations earlier then you might suffer the risk of having Hepatitis B. in this case your doctor will provide you medication which includes globulin in 14 days after the exposure of this virus. After this you will be given a number of immunizations of Hepatitis B. through such immunizations hepatitis B can be cured and hence you should not worry.

Genital herpes is also a sexually transmitted disease where people develop lumps on their genitals as evident from the herpes pictures. Both men and women can suffer from this disease. It is also not curable. I hope I was able to provide you with sufficient information. Take Care.