I am suffering from cold and cough with colored discharges

Dear Doctor. I am a 17 year old boy. I am studying intermediate. From the past 4 days I am suffering from cold, cough. I also have some discharge along with the cough. First few days I had only white colored discharge. But now it turned to green color. Also I have seen some red colored thing in that discharge today. I had similar symptoms in the past from almost 2 years. I get this cold for 5 days followed by red colored discharge. I blow my nose to send out all the secretions from my nose. I have used some allergic medications which are prescribed by our family doctor. But this time the color is very green and the res discharge is too above normal. I wanted to know if this requires special treatment. Please advise me regarding this.I wiil be thankful to you.

Hello. Thanks for writing to us.

From your history it can be concluded that you are suffering from some allergy. It could result in symptoms like cold, running nose, blocked nose etc. It can be due to an allergen or simply because of weather change.

The red color in your sputum could be blood. It may have resulted from repeated, forceful blowing of nose where tiny blood vessels in the respiratory epithelium get damaged resulting in blood tinged sputum and nasal discharge. The green color in your sputum suggests that you are suffering from infection. It could be from viral infection superinfected with bacteria. It may require treatment with antibiotics. I recommend you to take steam inhalations for a blocked nose and cold for a quick relief of symptoms. Also I advise you to consult a physician or an ENT specialist for physical examination and further management with antibiotics if required.