Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

I was anorexic when 16yrs, now put on weight, feeling depressed.

Resolved Question:

can't lose weight... (I'm 5'5" weight 164 and am 20 years old)Here's the back story: When I was 14-16 I was anorexic and depressed. I was 5-5" and weighed 95-100 pounds. My family never questioned me about my weight and never questioned when I said I wasn't hungry because I already ate. I didn't recover with therapy or medication. I meant my fiance around then simply became happy again. After awhile I started eating and my weight became normal. When I look at pictures from that time, I can't beliece I was so thin. You could see my ribs and I looked like I could blow away with the wind. Now having these fat rolls and being 10 sizes larger is really hard on me. And no one understands why I'm hurt so bad and why my current weight is so so depressing. Nothing I do works to lose weight. I can't do a lot of exercise because during my anorexia stage I was a flyer for a cheerleading squad and have permanently damaged my knee. I'm lost and am not happy with myself. My fiance tells me I'm beautiful but its hard to believe when I don't see it and especially hard to deal with when he's underweight and I weigh more than him.

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 21 Doctors Online

Hello, Thank you for asking your query at DoctorSpring.

I understand what you are going through. But, firstly I want you to understand that it's not a taboo to be fat, you are very lucky that your husband appreciates you. Its very understandable you are feeling low, but its time you pull up your self esteem. There are counseling sessions for this. Do not cut down on your food and nutrition, this wouldn't help you much. Instead reduce fatty food and have more of fruits and vegetables.

If exercise is not an option because you have hurt your knee, you can try doing yoga. There are specific exercises you can avoid which involves knee. You can also try doing meditation.  You can pay attention on your diet, have more of protein like skinned out meat and egg, fruits, dry fruits like cashew and almonds.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask follow-up questions

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news