Ibuprofen related gastritis.

Is this serious/should I be worried and seek medical attention?

I've been in the Dominican Republic for the past 5 days (I just got back). My symptoms didn't start until my 4th day. I did not drink the tap water.

symptoms:
-Severe stomach pains the first day, they got less severe but have continued for the last 2 days, in the past few hours they have picked up in intensity, but they usually come off and on in differing intensities
-I don't think the pain is localized to a specific region, maybe the upper portion of my abdomen
-diarrhea since my stomach pains started
-I think I was probably dehydrated the day before everything started
-I've been taking over the counter ibuprofen to help the pain
-I started taking some peptobismol the last 4 hrs to help with the diarrhea

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

I went through your post about abdominal pain and diarrhea.
There is no need to worry.

Since it is intermittent type of abdominal pain associated with diarrhea, it is mosts likely that you have acquired a stomach bug.
You may be also having ibuprofen related gastritis as the pain has become more severe in the past few hours and is more in the upper part of the abdomen.
For either case peptobismol will provide adequate relief.

All you need to do is -
1. Stop taking ibuprofen
2. Continue taking peptobismol
3. Take OTC prilosec twice a day before food
4. Drink enough fluids including electrolyte solution as you were dehydrated and continue to have diarrhea

If these measures fail to provide relief, then you need to seek medical attention for clinical examination and for tests like stool analysis.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.R.K

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University