Is It alright to take aspirin after ARTHROSCOPIC SURGERY?

My husband is having authoscoptic surgery wed 6/18/14 but he did not stop taking his aspirin regimen the nurse and doctor said it would still be alright for him to have this surgery. I am not sure. He has hardening of the arteries and had a heart problem about 8 to 10 yrs earlier. Pls let me know what you thing asap Thank You. Millicent

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

Hello Mrs. Millicent, 

Surgeons and Anaesthesiologists recommend stopping aspiring prior to Surgery to avoid risk of bleeding. The drug may be stopped somewhere around 5-7 days before surgery. But there are scenarios in which Aspirin is continued till the day of Surgery. Stopping Aspirin is a just  a small protective measure. In many types of Surgeries such as yours there is no increased risk in bleeding. So if your Doctor and nurse has suggested it is alright then there is no reason to worry at all.He can go ahead with the procedure. 

I assume your husband has stopped the medication now. That should suffice. 

Feel free to ask followups

Dr. DSS -  @deepusebin

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995