Is the sore below the penis a symptom of syphilis?

Hi doctor, I would like you to tell me about syphilis. I observed a sore below my penis and I am worried about this problem. I often have headaches. I only masturbate therefore is there a possibility of this infection as seen in the genital warts pictures?

Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

Thank you for the question and I am sorry about your trouble. Well first of all I would like you to know that syphilis is a std that is a sexually transmitted disease. Therefore I would like you to know that this problem can be incurred after having unprotected sex with an infected person. Even transfusion of blood of an infected person can cause the transmission of syphilis. This may be fatal for a pregnant lady as the infection can travel across the placenta. As far as your symptoms are concerned, as seen in the genital warts pictures there is a possibility of you having this infection. Though you did not have sex, blood transfusion is another mode of transmitting this problem. The symptoms for this problem occur stage wise and therefore a person can judge the level at which he has the infection. There are no vaccines available that would prevent this infection therefore a person needs to be careful whenever he has sex.

As far as the treatment of syphilis is concerned, it is a very challenging task to diagnose it because it has different clinical representations. Coming to your case, you must have seen the genital warts pictures and accordingly you can judge your case.  The best option that you have is to approach a physician as soon as possible so that you have the best treatment in time for this problem. In the meanwhile you also need to be aloof from any sexual activity. Hope this fetched you the required information. Take care and all the best.

Dr. John Fuller
MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center
Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital