Is there any permanent solution of my repeated attacks of cold and allergy?

Hello Doctor. I am a 18-year-old girl with severe respiratory problems. I am writing this because I think I could get at least a little help from any of the Doctors out there in this blog. First of all I would like to appreciate all the help and all the support that you're giving for the people. I've been experiencing cold attacks from two years. I have consulted my physician for evaluation of my condition last year. I was told that I have abnormal curvature of my nose bone. My physician said that this abnormal bone is causing repeated attacks of cold and allergy. Is this a permanent condition? Will it be associated with any other infections ? If so, is there any medical treatment for this? Is there any permanent solution for this? I am Very much worried about my present condition and I am so young to tolerate this.

Hello. Thanks for writing to us.

I can understand how difficult it could be to experience a condition like this from the past three years. You have described that you're suffering from a deviated part in your nose . In medical terms, this is called deviated nasal septum. It is a cartilage that is deviated, but not the bone as you have described. According to a recent study, almost 60% of individuals suffering from allergy & sinusitis are found to have deviated nasal septum. This septum when abnormal irritates the mucosa of the nose, even with a little amount of dust or allergen. This results in repeated attacks of cold, sneezing, running nose, nose block.

A deviated nasal septum cannot be corrected with medications as it is an anatomical abnormality. It can be treated symptomatically with the help of drugs such as antihistamines and antiallergic's. The only permanent cure is with surgery, where the deviated septum is realigned in the normal position with the help of some instruments. But this may involve complications such as bleeding, delayed recovery from anesthesia, etc.