Monoarthritis.

I don't have any reports or scans - only my symptoms.

I don't recall doing anything to my leg, but starting Friday night, I noticed my left leg was really achy/sore on the outside - mostly below the knew and on the side of the knee, but also a little above the knee too. I tried doing a lot of stretching but assumed it was just strain from wearing my running shoes at work.

Yesterday, I honestly don't recall is being all that bad - I'm not sure I paid any attention to it.

Today, I went shopping, and I don't remember it bothering me, but tonight it started again. Tonight, I can really tell when I leave my foot flat on the floor and turn the opposite direction (stand on left and turn body right). Now, it feels moreso on the back of my leg behind my knee. It's still sore on the outside of my leg as well.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I did also find a knot about 3 inches above my knee on the back of my leg. I may just be getting anxious at this point, but I'd like an opinion of what I should be concerned about if anything.

There is no leg swelling that I can tell, it's not warm to touch, and I don't see any redness.

I'm 33 and slightly overweight (not obese). I have been seeing a trainer, but I haven't seen him in over a week.

Thank you for choosing DoctorSpring. I have discussed your concern with our team Rheumatologist.

I have gone through your symptoms which is predominantly related to the left knee. This is most likely something we call a "Monoarthritis". (Or inflammation of a single joint. ). Another possibility is non specific musculoskeletal inflammation around the knee. I am of the opinion this is more likely to be a mono arthritis.

Monoarthritis can be due to a number of causes ranging from infections to trauma. Crystal disease (Gout), urinary infection, osteoarthritis etc can also present like this. In your case the most likely cause in a trauma which could be from a minor injury , unaccustomed exertion, or trivial injury which you might not have noticed. This could have happened even few days back.

A confirmed diagnosis requires further tests like Xray of the knee, Physical examination and a joint aspirate study. BUT this is not necessary in all the cases. Since you do not have fever, pain, swelling you can judiciously observe how the pain evolves. There is high chance that it can spontaneously resolve. You can take an OTC anti inflammatory NSAID like Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily for two days.

As of now there is nothing to worry. If the symptoms persists beyond 2-3 days and/or if there is pain , swelling , fever (which are suggestive of a condition called Septic Arthritis, which is a medical emergency) you should get medical help for further evaluation.

DO REST THE LEG. DO not exert.

Feel free to ask follow ups