Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Pain in the chest area following work out.

Resolved Question:

Hi. I did a lot of exercise this weekend and my heart feels as if it's sore like my legs or arms might. Is this something to be concerned about? I am also a smoker. Is there any way to stretch the heart muscle???

Category: Internal Medicine Specialist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
 25 Doctors Online


Thank you for choosing DoctorSpring.

Heart is made up of a different kind of muscle which won't fatigue unlike the skeletal muscle. So the soarness you are feeling is probably something else. I would like to know some additional details from you so that I can provide a solid and learned opinion.
You can reply as a followup

1. Do you have a chest pain ? If so in what side ?
2. Could you please describe the discomfort in more detail ?
3. Do you have a pain radiating to the arms or jaw
4. Does this soreness increase when you walk / run or exert ?
5. If possible count your resting heart rate and let me know the rate ( you can see online how to do it or use Mobile Apps)
6. Is there a pain while breathing in ?

Thank you

Patient replied :

Its not so much pain as it is relative discomfort. Again, the best way I can describe it is as if something were sore. It is on the left side of my chest.

No pain in the arm or jaw. The soreness doesn't particularly increase but I have felt tired with very little work. The resting heart rate I got was 82 bpm


There appears to be no warning signs of any adverse cardiac event. However just be cautious. As I said cardiac muscles will not fatigue (they have to work from birth to death !). So it could be inflammation of its covering or the pleura. Rarely myocarditis can present like this.

If you have medical access it is better to get an ECG done. A blood test called CPK_MB or Trop T can also be done if there is any changes in the ECG. DO NOT exert. Take absolute red for 2 days. You can take an OTC pain medication like Iburpofen 400mg twice daily for 3 days. It will help with the inflammation also.

Hope this helps
Feel free to ask follow ups
Thank you

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Resident Physician, in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news