Pain/stiffness in neck, shoulder, arm in one side. Reason.

Dear Doctor,

For the past couple of months I have been experiencing neck pain/stiffness and sever pain in the shoulders and arms, pain radiating down to my fingers as well. The pain is more left sided..i.e if I get pain it is 80% on the left side and 20% on the right side. I had my cervical x ray taken and it suggest of cervical Spondylosis. I have occasional swelling near my collar bone as well and this again is left sided. I have been suggested a CT next week.

My doubt is why is it that the problem affects my left side more and is the swelling near collar bone related to spondylosis, should mention it is a very light swelling though and occurs occasionally. The pain in the shoulders and arms have reduced a lot and I am still not on to any meds.

I am 38 year old Female.

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

I have read your query with diligence.
I hope you know well about cervical spondylosis.In this condition there is growth of bone of cervical vertebrae.This enlarged bone increases compression over exiting nerve at neural foramen.
Compression of these nerve lead to pain in there distribution area.It looks from your details that there is more compression towards left side.This compression does also affect vascular structures through there nerve supply,so this swelling may be associated with compression of nerves supplying to small vessels of that side.
Most probably your doctor want to see the enlargement of bone as well as there encroachment to nerve foramen.
Hope this will help you.
With best wishes.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995