Pityriasis versicolor

Hello, I'm messaging you guys for my father. My father is 45 years old, with no health issues that we know of. Starting around 1 and a half to 2 years ago (he says it's been at it for 3+ years), we noticed an irregular spot under my fathers arm. It is irregular shaped, fairly light colored pink - light brown. I can't give you exact info but i would say it's a good 3 inches in diameter... the main part of it. It is growing fairly rapidly, and has now started under his other arm. The spots on his other arm are dry, and the main spot seems to be roughening up. I cannot convince him to go to the doctor so I'm messaging you guys. I will attach a photo for you guys to see and give your opinion. My main concern is Melanoma, he doesn't seem to have any other symptoms that I know of. Here is a couple of Pictures below, thanks in advance!

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com.

Your father seems to be having a bacterial infection of the skin called erythrasma. The other possible diagnosis is pityriasis versicolor.
That is a superficial fungal infection of the skin.

The best treatment for it would be application of clotrimazole cream and fucidin cream mixed together.

It doesn't look like melanoma in the picture, however if there is no improvement in the lesion within a week, I would recommend consulting a dermatologist.

A physical examination would be essential, as its always better to have a baseline check done for any moles.

Thank you for the fast reply. I'd just like to clarify, if it was a bacterial infection of the skin, would it really last 2+ years? And keep growing? It also is on his other arm as you can see in the photos above, would it also start in his other arm too? The spot never gets smaller or dissapears, it's always changing and growing. Also, they seem to dry out / get scaly (almost like white in color) / rough. Same question for Pityriasis versicolor, would that also last 2+ years? Thank you for the quick responses!

Thanks for your reply and for the appreciation.

Erythrasma and pityriasis versicolor are both superficial and bacterial fungal infections of the skin respectively.

They can be present for many years and often go untreated since they cause no discomfort to an individual.

I would still recommend that if a week's treatment doesn't seem to bring any change in the lesions, it's advisable to see a dermatologist.

Pityriasis versicolor however can take up to 6 weeks to resolve.

Sorry, just one more thing. What if it's also itchy sometimes? And also, would it spread to the other arm like his has? Would both of those diagnoses still apply? Sorry for all the questions, this will be my last one. Thanks for the speedy replies by the way.

Yes, it can spread to the other arm and also it could be itchy at times.

My diagnosis still holds good.

Please don't apologize, No problem if you ask me your queries.

Hello.. I tried to purchase fucidin cream.. Turns out they dont sell it in my country.. United states. I did purchase 1% clotrimazol cream. Is there any other option for me? Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Kruti Jobanputra Banodkar replied 1 Day.

You can take bactrobsn cream instead.