Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Please guide me with the tests usually done for Erectile Dysfunction.

Resolved Question:

Hello Doctor, I am a 52 year old man, married for 18 years, have 2 children, healthy. I am a diabetic for 12 years and take alcohol very often. I have been recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. Its been 3 months that I have been experiencing problems with erection, have less craving for it and unable to satisfy my wife. Guess I have Erectile Dysfunction. Am going to visit my General Physician regarding this concern, next week. Please guide me with the tests usually done for Erectile Dysfunction.

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 29 Doctors Online

Hello, Sorry to hear about your problem.

In your case the reduced libido and erection problems are probably seen owing to your medical history and almost all of them play a role in developing Erectile Dysfunction. Before informing you about the tests I would like to tell you, that you must feel free to discuss everything with your physician. It would have been better if you had described whether the erection problem is only during the sexual activity or even during sleep(nocturnal erection) . If the erections are not seen even during sleep, it points towards Vascular or nerve problem.

The Blood tests that should be done are:

  • Glucose
  • HbA1C
  • Hormones like
  1. Prolactin
  2. Testosterone
  3. Luteinising Hormone (LH)
  4. Follicle- Stimulating Hormone (FSH)

These are the usual tests available and done routinely.

Other rare tests done for further management are

  1. Nocturnal Tumenescence monitoring- done using an instrument called plethysmograph which is placed around the penis overnight .This is to find out if the blood supply and nerve supply are sufficient to allow erections to occur during sleep.
  2. Intracavernosal injections meaning injections into the shaft of penis with papaverine or PGE1

to test the adequacy of the blood supply.

Additionally Angiography, nerve conduction studies can also be done.

There are several treatment options available, and the condition improves with regular treatment and avoiding stress.

Hope this is of some help.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news