Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Skin coloured bumps, growths in penis after shaving. INGROWTH HAIR?

Resolved Question:


To begin, I am a 20 year old male that has been in a sexual relationship with another male for the past year. He is the only person in the past year I have had sexual relations with, and as far as I know, I'm the only person he's had sexual relations with.

Back in December, I shaved my pubic hair for the first time and made a few cuts that developed into what look like growths, what I believed to be ingrown hairs from the cuts. I have since only trimmed, but the growths remain.

A few months later, I noticed that I had small skin-colored bumps on the shaft of my penis and near the scrotum. I was using Protopic ointment at the time to control eczema on the shaft when I noticed these bumps, but also realized that they appeared after anal intercourse. However, it was not the first time we had had anal intercourse.

I've tried doing my own research online, but have gotten a variety of answers. I plan on visiting my primary care physician soon in order to help clear things up, but figured I would ask here first to see if any answers could be given

Any help would be fantastic.

Category: Sexually Transmitted Diseases(STD)Specialist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon
 18 Doctors Online

Thank you for your query at

I can understand your concern.

From your history, it could be genital warts. These are caused by hpv virus and are transmitted sexually.

However, I won't be able to tell you for sure whether they are warts without seeing the lesion.

I would like to request you to send me a picture of the growths.
It will give me a better picture,


Patient replied :

I have attached photos. The first picture are the small bumps on the shaft. The second are the growths that appeared after shaving.
Thanks so much
- Aaron

Hello Aaron.
Thanks for your reply.

This seems to be a viral infection called molluscum contagiousum. It's caused by a pox virus.
When it occurs in the genital area, it's usually sexually transmitted.
The treatment for it would be application of Aldara cream, once at night, for 5 days or a week, only on the lesions.

Please let me know if you have any queries.
Take care.

Patient replied :

Thank you for responding and for the diagnosis. Because it's probably sexually transmitted, should I be worried about possible other viruses? I realize I should go get tested, but are there certain symptoms or other things I should worry about as well?
Also, do I have to get a perscription for Aldara, or is it possible to buy over-the-counter?
Thanks, Aaron


Thanks for posting your reply.

Molluscum contagiousum didn't give rise to any other symptoms. Its best to get tested for other STDs and HIV. As these conditions at times can co exist.

Aldara cream will require a prescription.

Take care

Dr. Kruti Jobanputra Banodkar
Category: Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon
Diploma in Dermatology - Royal College Of Physicians & Surgeons Of Glasgow, UK , 2010
Residency - DNB, Dermatology -  K.J Somaiya Hospital, Mumbai, 2009
Medical School & Internship - MBBS - Dr. D . Y . Patil Medical College, Mumbai, 2004
Dr. Kruti Jobanputra Banodkar and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news