Stomach pain, cramps with blood spots in stool. Cause?

I am experiencing blood spots on and inside stool. When wiping there are pieces of bloody tissue. I am also having stomach spasms and stomach pain and cramps. I have no constipation or diarrhea or hard stools. I went to er a couple days ago where a rectal exam was positive for blood and blood tests were clear. I am waiting for my appointment with a GI but its still days away. Is it safe to wait so long to see a Dr or do I need to go back to er?

Category: Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Expert:  Dr. Lokesh HM replied 4 Days.

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
There are many different causes of blood in stool. Some of the common causes are hemorrhoids, anal fissure, polyps, colitis and malignancy.
Since you are not constipated, it is less likely to be due to hemorrhoids or anal fissure. Moreover the doctor did a rectal examination and he would have diagnosed these conditions. Since he did not mention anything about these two conditions, they are less likely to be the cause of blood in stool in your case.
Since you have abdominal cramps also in addition to having blood in stool, colitis is the more likely cause. A colonoscopy test may be done to confirm it. It is a test in which a long slender tube is inserted through the anal opening to look inside the colon.
You need not go to ER as long you can tolerate the abdominal cramps and the hemoglobin is not dangerously low.
You can fix an appointment with your GI doctor for this test.
I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.

Having totally different pain now.Had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and mild gastritis was found along with internal hemmrhoids. This test was done 8 months ago. 5 months ago I began having waves of excruciating pain and swelling on luq and llq. I have noticed spots of white mucus in my stool. Red blood on and in the middle of my stool as well as some nausea. Could this be anything new as I just had the colonoscopy not too long ago? My bm's are daily, mainly loose, no diarhrea. My GI Dr wasn't concerned with these symptoms last month but it is so bad that I can't do daily tasks.

Expert:  Dr. Lokesh HM replied 3 Days.

This consult is over an year old and hence has been closed by the system.
Please note we keep our consults open not more than a month or till 3 fups have been utilised.
So, please initiate a new consult and the same specialist will help you.

Dr. Lokesh HM
Fellowship: Minimal Access Surgery (FMAS)
Fellowship: Pancreato-Biliary surgery (FPBS), SGPGI Lucknow, 2012
Senior Residency: MCh, Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGI) Lucknow, 2011
Junior Residency: MS, PGIMER, Chandigarh, 2008
Medical School: MBBS, MS from Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) Chandigarh, 2007