suggest some drugs to relieve my nose block.

Hi. I'm a 21-year-old male. I'm suffering from allergy from the past few days. My nose is getting blocked every night when I go to sleep. I feel it difficult to breathe when I go to sleep during episodes of cold. I feel something is obstructing me from breathing. I have taken some medications for cold from a nearby medical shop. I didn't get any relief from the medications. Also, the past two days. I'm having this sneezing when I go out for a walk in the early morning. I usually sneeze for more than nine times or even 12 times at a stretch. Everybody in the street. Keep staring at me when I sneeze like that. I am little embarrassed to go out early in the morning. Please Doctor, help me with some remedies for my problem. Also, please suggest some drugs to relieve my nose block.

Hello. Thanks for writing to us.

As per your description, you probably are suffering from allergy. Allergy in simple terms is the response of our body for a foreign substance whether it is small or big. The foreign substance can be a simple pollen, dust, animal dander, microorganisms or even cold weather. In your case, it is likely that you're allergic to the dust and the cold weather.

I recommend you to follow these precautions:

1)avoid exposure to cold environment

2)avoid pollution.

3)Use air filters or masks when you are supposed to go out in pollution.

4)Avoid pet animals.

5)Take steam inhalations for at least three or five times a day.

6)Use antihistamines like Levocetrizine to relieve your symptoms.

7)You can also use drugs like xylometazoline which acts like nasal decongestants for a quick relief of blocked nose, although it shouldn't be overused.

8)Consider antibiotics if the symptoms persist, and the discharge turns yellow or green colour.