Surgeries to reattach TORN BICEPS TENDON in elbow?

Hey... got question about torn tendons in the elbow.

So almost a year ago I managed to tear my distal bicep tendon ( 90% sure it's the distal tendon from what I've been reading online, but I'm no doctor unfortunately ) while at work. It seems to be a complete tear and the bicep has bunched up closer to my shoulder and I have the telltale gap at the elbow where the tendon once was.

So at the time of the injury I went through with my workplace and filled all the injury forms and whatnot. I went to see multiple doctors after the injury and was told that it was something they can't really fix and I would have to live the rest of my life with. Of course I was devastated, being only 21 and having to live the remainder of my life with a weakened arm. I wasn't too worried about the how the bicep LOOKED, I was more worried about the loss of functions.

Recently the arm with the torn tendon has developed a slight twitch and has become increasingly hard to do fine tasks with. The twitching is mainy in the thumb, and is even bothering me while reading as the book is shaking ( seriously don't take my reading away, please ). So I decided to check online if there was any connection between the 2. During my browsing what do I stumble across but an article describing my problem almost to a T, and the various surgeries and such which can help re-attach the tendon.

This pissed me off. Not only did the doctors essentially lie to my face saying there is no way to fix it, but now I fear it may be too late as the article claims the best time to repair it is 2-3 weeks after the injury. After that it begins to scar and degrade.

I have a checkup scheduled with my family doctor next week, but I am worried about what could have been a fixable problem now being permanent. Any advice or insight you guys can offer would be amazing and appreciated.

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your query at DoctorSpring.com
I understand your concern
I have read your question with diligence.It looks that you had rupture of distal biceps about a year ago.I want to confirm this for your knowledge tat biceps tendon can be repaired at early stage if tissue quality is good.In early stages, there are chances of less complication like nerve injury, success of repair, etc.
In late stages, the main problem is of tissue quality, scar formation at rupture ends & retraction of the tendon.There are still methods which can help in lengthening of the tendon, the graft is used from the back of thigh or from muscles on a lateral aspect of the thigh.Such surgery needs a good expertise & you should have this get performed only by an experienced senior orthopedic surgeon. Please find a senior surgeon near your location.
Hope this will help you.
Feel free to discuss

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995