Treatment for bleeding from rear passage. COLONOSCOPY.

Hi my wife has been in hospital ten times or more for the same thing ,she has some bleeding from her rear passage in hospital they just put her on nill by mouth for two days and then send her home we are waiting for a colonoscopy is there are anything we can do to stop the bleeding

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thanks for posting your query on DoctorSpring.com.

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Bleeding per rectum can occur due to a number of different conditions. Some of the common conditions are hemorrhoids, fissures, polyps, colitis including IBD, diverticulosis and malignancy.
The treatment for each one of these is different.
Colonoscopy will help to know which of the above is the cause for her bleeding per rectum.
You can discuss with her doctor why colonoscopy is not being done.
Since she is having recurrent bleeding episodes, she is prone for anemia. So please check her hemoglobin levels.

I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you furrther.

Dr.R.K.

yes she has a colonoscopy due very soon as she is on a short list but as she said i sometimes think i need to go for a wee and it comes out of her bottom is there anything she can do to stop this happening as we both work for ourselves and is very uncomfortable to go out in public

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 3 Days.

If bleeding per rectum is due to hemorrhoids and fissures then taking laxatives and stool softeners may help to some extent.
But unless we know the cause of bleeding, it is difficult to suggest treatment.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University