Urine smells and looks different with burning

Good evening,

I am a 22 year old woman. My pain started from going to the bathroom getting a burning sensation when peeing. It all started about 5 days ago, on the 3rd day I started feeling lower back pain. Now (being the 5th day) I am feeling severe back pain, bloated stomach, loss in appetite, my urine smells and looks different too a bit. I have a feeling that I have a urinary track infection (UTI) or even (since I have severe back pain) a Kidney Infection, which once was a UTI.Thats what I am assuming it is, after reading several forums and watching videos online. My symptoms match to it. I have started drinking cranberry juice and took medicine to limit the pain of going to the bathroom but it hasnt helped yet. I also have a sudden itchy feeling down there after peeing. I also have a constant feeling/urge of going to the bathroom. I am afraid that it is worse than just a UTI since I didn't seek professional help in the earlier stages, and am scared that it turned into a Kidney infection since I have severe back pain now. I am not sure if my health insurance covers medical expenses or doctor visits its called First Health, BCS Medical Insurance, and Hygeia combined in one card. I am a intern doing my internship in the US currently so I don't really understand how the health care system works here in the US, in Canada its free. I hope you can assist me further, and let me know what I should do.

Your symptoms are consistent with UTI . The infection can spread to the kidneys, but I do not think that has happened in your case. Most likely this is simple UTI and there is no reason to worry. Back pain does NOT mean infection spreading. And 5th day is not that late.

However you should not delay the treatment. You health insurance should cover this. The Doctor will order for a urine routine and culture and then start you on an antibiotic like Norfloxacin. As you already know UTI is almost always a bacterial infection and antibiotics are must. You will start seeing good response and resolution of pain in a couple of days. Drink plenty of water. Cranberry juice helps in prevention of UTI. Once UTI has set in it has not much benefit.

So it's very simple. Get in touch with a Doctor asap. Get a urine test and antibiotic course - Drink plenty of water. (Your insurance should cover this as this a basic and common condition).

Please feel free to ask follwoup questions