Thank you for choosing Doctor Spring. Vaccines that you need as you are a frequent traveller can be categorized into general and specific( for that particular location).
General vaccines that you require are:
1. MMR(measles, mumps, rubella vaccine) (done, taken)
2. DPT(diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis vaccine) (done, taken)
3. Polio vaccine (done, taken)
4. Varicella(chicken pox vaccine), If not infected with chicken pox,
5. Yearly flu shot.
6. Hepatitis B (done,taken). A booster may be considered after 10 years after checking antibody titre.
*You have taken 1 dose of Hepatitis A . Hepatitis A is taken as two doses at 0, 6-12 months. You need to complete the additional dose
* There are other vaccines like HiB, Pnuemococcal etc. These are optional. No recommended , but can be taken
Specific vaccines while travelling to United Arab Emirates:
1. Hepatitis A( through contaminated food and water) - To complete the schedule
2.Typhoid(through contaminated food and water) - Mentioned as taken. Make sure you have completed the schedule.
3. Hepatitis B(As, it is transmitted through sexual contact, contaminated needles and blood products). - done, taken
Specific vaccines while travelling to Sri Lanka:
1. Hepatitis A
4.Japanese Encephalitis(If travelling to rural areas and if you would be outdoors most of the time).
You need to take prophylactic treatment for malaria(except if you are visiting colombo, galle, gampaha,kalutara,matara,nuwara eliya as these places do not pose the threat of getting infected with malaria) Common drugs used for prophylaxis are atovaquone proguanil, doxycycline or mefloquine.
Hope this helps
Patient replied :
Thank you Doctor, very helpful.
I have two follow ups:
- To complete the Typhoid schedule I need just one further dose?
- Is there any value in getting a further vaccination for HPV? I understand that there are limited risks for men but I would be concerned about passing it on to any partners and that there is a new vaccine available.
Fortunately we'll be in Galle & Colombo during our trip so the risk should be relatively low.
Thank you for your time.
Thank you for writing back to us. You need to take booster dose for typhoid if you travel after February 2014, as you effectiveness of the vaccine taken lapses by then. You need to take a booster dose for this. Also, if you need protection further this should be repeated every two years. It should be taken a tleast one week before travel to allow the vaccine to work.
However I do not recommending this unless you plan to travel to high risk area with high probability of using contaminated food and water.
As, you have taken Gardasil HPV vaccine, there is no additional requirement.
Hope this helps.
Do write to us for follow ups.