Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Itchy area in anus with a growth

Resolved Question:

What is the problem if I have a very itchy area in my anus which has been there for the past few months, and there seems to be a bit of growth in that area?

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon
 27 Doctors Online

Reply with additional inputs from Dr.Deepu Sebin


Thanks for posting your query.

From the picture, there seems to be an area which has eczema. That is the area which is itchy. The best treatment for it would be application of cortisone cream.

The growth however needs further evaluation by physical examination. It would be difficult to comment on it just by seeing the picture.

Dr.DS - The growth could be a skin tag. It does not seem to be dangerous growth. If you have any further symptoms even after using the cortisone cream I would recommed visiting your Doctor for evaluation. Meanwhile avoid straining in the toilet. Add more fibre rich food to your diet.

Hope this helps
Please feel free to ask followup questions.

Take care.

Patient replied :

Hi Dr. Banodkar and Dr. Sebin,

Thank you for your replies. I have follow up inquiries for your inputs regarding medication.

Is cortisone cream a generic name, and can it be bought over the counter without prescription? Is there another name to it in case drug stores here use another name for it?

What is recommended medication; how many times per day and for how many days until I know it is not working?

Is it possible for you to pinpoint which areas exactly are affected by eczema so I know which areas to apply the cream, as I am not sure which areas you are pointing out.

I have attached recent pictures as I have yet to try medication since your response from almost 1month ago, so that you may confirm if it is still indeed eczema. Symptoms are still the same.

Thank you.


Thanks for your reply. I can understand your concern.

Hydrocortisone cream is the name of the drug, it is available over the counter without a prescription. The trade name is cortisone or cortaid cream.

The area with redness on it has eczema with an underlying growth. That is what you are finding itchy.

Cortisone cream can be applied twice a day for a week, it should show an improvement in that time, after which if there is no improvement, you need to consult your doctor.

Also you need a physical examination for the growth that is present as its difficult to opine on it without examining it.

There is a possibility that the growth could be a wart, hence its important to get it examined and to treat it in a proper manner. The effective treatment for anal warts is with Aldara cream or podophyllin, you will require a prescription for both and also a doctor's monitoring.

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Take care.

Dr. Kruti Jobanputra Banodkar
Category: Cosmetic and Plastic Surgeon
Diploma in Dermatology - Royal College Of Physicians & Surgeons Of Glasgow, UK , 2010
Residency - DNB, Dermatology -  K.J Somaiya Hospital, Mumbai, 2009
Medical School & Internship - MBBS - Dr. D . Y . Patil Medical College, Mumbai, 2004
Dr. Kruti Jobanputra Banodkar and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news