Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

36 year old healthy lady with pain in foot, suspects bone growth.

Resolved Question:

I am a 36 year old female with a normally healthy build-up apart from this problem. I am not overweight or underweight. 10 weeks ago, it started developing a chronic pain in my left foot. It is just an inch below my ankle joint. The pain is so pinching and severe that I have to use a stick to walk properly. It seems like there is a lump in that point, which makes it very painful to touch or feel. It is very painful to take even a step. It is there from the day1 it started. It was increasing every day and now remaining with same intensity of pain. However the pain is unbearable. Before the occurrence of this pain, I used to walk around as normal and was active in day to day works. My job is such that it requires standing for a long time, and I have been in that job for many years. I consulted with my doctor, who suspects that some extra growth in bone has taken place. Can you please help me with this? I am waiting for an appointment in hospital also.

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 19 Doctors Online

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Services from Doctor Spring.

I can completely understand your problem and the pain you are undergoing.

From the symptoms you have been having, it sounds more like plantar fasciitis. It is a common condition Plantar fasciitis (PF) is a painful inflammatory process of the plantar fascia, the connective tissue on the sole (bottom surface) of the foot. The plantar fascia is a thick fibrous band of connective tissue originating on the bottom surface of the calcaneus (heel bone) and extending along the sole of the foot towards the toes. It is commonly associated with long periods of weight bearing due to prolonged standing. Since your job requires prolonged standing that could have caused you this problem. But not to worry, I would suggest you to consult a GP/ orthopaedic surgeon. The doctor will be able to diagnose this condition mostly by thorough physical examination of your foot. Sometimes for confirmation or If in doubt of diagnosis your doctor might ask you for a simple x-ray of your affected foot. Once diagnosis is confirmed, traditionally the treatment starts with optimum rest to the affected foot, NSAID therapy, daily icing, streach exercises, use of orthoses , and lace-up shoe gear is recommended to maximize support. Usually a combined modality of treatment is given for atleast 6 weeks, if pain not improved then steroid injection can be considered. I would like to advice you the following which could give you some relief from pain.

1. Wear shoes with adequate arch support and cushioned heels

2 .Avoid long periods of standing/ take rest from your work for a while or decrease the duration of standing in a day as much possible.

3. Follow the stretch exercise advised by your doctor

4. Avoid walking barefooted on hard surfaces

5. Apply ice for 20 minutes after repetitive impact-loading activities and at the end of the day

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you need further help.

Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news