Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

False interpretation of positive HSV immunological test results

Resolved Question:

Hi doctor, I am a healthy sexually active male. I used to have sex with multiple female partners. Recently I went to my doctor and had my blood test done. From the result, the test values read like this: IgG is NTU, IgM is 1. My doctor explained that I am infected with HSV virus of type 2 and that I am a herpes patient. He gave me incomplete ideas about curing the disease. Please let me know in detail, what the results mean and how to cure the disease if I am already infected? Please suggest some vaccines too to prevent infection.

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 26 Doctors Online

Thanks for your question. Firstly, let me inform you that HHSV 2 is a type of Herpes Simplex Virus which causes genital herpes. If there is no visible outbreak like cold sores in genital areas, you need no worry much about the test results. It is because blood test results for HSV2 is not considered as accurate because of the nature of test and there occurs a lot many false positives. So, the result is to be interpreted along with your current sexual behavior and chances of infection. It is better to consult your family doctor, as he may be more knowledgeable about this. However a positive test result means that there is virus in your body and it doesn’t mean that you should have a visible outbreak like cold sores or so, recently. But be careful about a possible outbreak in the form of itching little blisters or sores in the genital area. If you are seeing it for the first time, report it to your doctor immediately so that you can get medical aid. However, it is unfortunate that no medication is found yet to completely cure herpes by eradicating the virus. Treatment of cold sores and herpes in general is done symptomatically. If you are already married and planning to have a child, it is better to take your wife along with you to consult your gynecologist. Hope your query is answered well. Take care.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news