Inhaler alternatives

Hi my name is kassondra I've been having problems with my asthma its been getting worse every time i run or work out I currently do not have an inhaler it was lost in the move and can not afford to get a new one what can i do.

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thank you for asking the query :

Inhalers are the best therapeutic options for Asthma treatment. Since have no access to the inhalers, the next best will be oral medications:

You can take Salbutamol 4mg (cheap and easily available) two to three times a day. Incase you have severe asthma symptoms you may also add an oral steroid like Prednisolone 10mg (after food) for 2-3 days. But remember the type of asthma you are having – probably exercise induced asthma, responds best to inhalers.It’s recommended that you take this in consult with your Doctor/ Family Physician.

You may also want to cut down vigorous physical activities. Instead of running you can do a brisk walk or jogging, activities which do not precipitate asthma attack.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask followup questions

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center